Second grade includes a lot of review so that students truly master all the skills presented in first grade. Your child will learn to recognize familiar words more rapidly, read new words, add and subtract faster, compose more complex sentences, spell many new words, and increase his/her reading and speaking vocabularies. Students will learn basic computer skills through educational games.
Other things your child should learn to do this year include:
- Automatically read the 200 most commonly used words.
- Apply more complex phonics skills in his/her reading.
- Identify the setting, main characters, and plot of a story.
- Predict possible outcomes of a story.
- Use context and word attack skills to decode the meaning of unknown words.
- Use prefixes, suffixes, compound words, tenses, synonyms, and antonyms in his/her writing.
- Write sentences using correct punctuation and capitalization.
- Recognize and use nouns and action verbs in sentences.
- Divide words into syllables.
- Locate words in a glossary.
- Write legibly in cursive.
- Conduct precise measurements in inches, feet, yards, ounces, and pounds.
- Gain an understanding of fractions and their relationship to wholes.
- Add and subtract using carrying and borrowing.
- Memorize basic multiplication and division facts.
- Handle place value concepts for 4-digit whole numbers.
- Identify time to include half-hour, quarter hour, and 5-minute intervals.
- Add and subtract pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half-dollars, and dollars.
- Develop a simple understanding of life, earth, and physical sciences.
- Become more familiar with America and her roots.
- Learn the full story of King David’s life and why he was called “A man
- after God’s own heart”.
2nd Grade at Victory uses A Beka and BJU Press as the primary curriculum.
A Beka provides God-honoring, high-quality textbooks and teaching aids to help each school fulfill the goal of its ministry. The hundreds of traditional Christian educational materials developed by A Beka Book have been developed and refined over a period of 50 years in the classrooms of Pensacola Christian Academy. Christian schools throughout the nation recognize that A Beka Book sets the standard of excellence in the publishing of textbooks and other materials for Christian schools. www.abeka.com
BJU Press has developed a curriculum that blends factual knowledge and critical thinking skills with Biblical truth. Their materials help students not only to read, multiply fractions, and recognize grammar principles, but also to understand and evaluate what they read, solve problems, and write with conviction and clarity. They offer multiple approaches and activities in every lesson, allowing each teacher to address unique needs. BJU Press produces explicitly Christian texts with the best scholarship to help students learn to do critical analysis, to solve problems and to consider values in making godly choices in their lives. www.bjupress.com